02 April 2008

Transcript of Brian Gorrell ABS-CBN News Interview (English version)

Seems, Philippine mainstream media has picked up on Brian Gorrell's predicament. This is the interview of ABS-CBN news of Brian Gorrell by Gigi Grande. I translated the transcript to english (enclosed in double asterisks "**", "**")the best I can so please pardon some errors.

TRANSCRIPT OF ABS-CBN NEWS STORY (english translation)

**An Australian is now finding out what an internet blog can do. He is seeking justice from the alleged wrong doing of his filipino ex-boyfriend**

** Exclusive by Australia Bureau Chief Gigi Grande**

**This is what Australian Brian Gorrell has sold when he decided to live in the Philippines. A 3 bedroom house at the tip of a rainforest with about 12 hectares of land for his flower business. What happened to his earnings from selling his house has been the main topic of his blog that has captivated filipinos worldwide. A blog is an online diary that can be read by anyone with internet access.**

**In Brian's blog, he narrates how he has sent 70,000 dollars to his filipino boyfriend, a known socialite and newspaper columnist. The money was for a restaurant that they will set up and also for a tour-booking company. It was too late when Brian found out that there was no restaurant and that he was just conned.**

BRIAN: “I sent this money in good faith. I sent this money for my future. For my business… that we were creating together. This is money that I need back so I can move on with my life.”

**According to Site Meter, a web tracking tool, he received around 2 million page views on his blog since it started last March 4. Words of sympathy poured out from readers. Filipinos monitored the site because of Brian's story of his ex-boyfriend's high society friends that unfolds like a soap opera. The story includes tales of selling and using of drugs during parties.**

BRIAN: “I don’t write things on my blog that I can’t substantiate with proof. I’ve been there. I’ve been in the middle of it. I’ve been in the muck.”

**Any day, Brian will divulge on what happened to a filipino socialite who died last year**

BRIAN: “I heard first-hand from one of the people involved. I know the truth and, um, it’s a hard one.”

Brian has to turn over his house and lot to the new owners within 3 months. He will be moving to Canada. But he won't close his blog until he gets his money back**

**Blogs have been proven to be influential in Business and in politics. In showbiz, a blog can make or break an artist. No one knows if Brian will win. But if it does, it is further proof of the power of the blog.**

Gigi Grande for ABS-CBN News, Sydney, Australia.


*** English Translation, mine ***
***Anyone is free to use the translation above as long as my site (http://jobert.blogspot.com) is properly credited for it**




Original Transcript from Art, a commentator on Brian's blog:

TRANSCRIPT OF ABS-CBN NEWS INTERVIEW WITH BRIAN GORRELL (Tagalog version)

Sinusubok ngayon ng isang Australyano ang magagawa ng internet blog. Dito siya naghahanap ng hustisya sa umano’y panloloko at panghuhudhod sa kanya ng kanyang naging boyfriend na Pilipino.

Exclusive nagpapatrol Australia Bureau Chief Gigi Grande.

Ito ang ibinenta ng Australyanong si Brian Gorrell nang siya’y magpasiyang tumira sa Pilipinas. Isang three-bedroom house sa tuktok ng rainforest at mahigit 12 hektarya ng lupa para sa kanyang flower business. Kung ano ang nagyari sa perang kinita niya sa pagbenta ng bahay ay nasa sentro ng kanyang blog na sinusubaybayan ng mga Pilipino sa iba’t ibang bahagi ng mundo. Ang blog ay isang online diary na maaaring basahin ng sinumang may access sa internet.

Sa blog ni Brian, kinuwento niya kung paano niya umanong pinadala ang 70,000 dolyar sa Pilipinong boyfriend, isang kilalang socialite at kolumnista sa malaking dyaryo. Ang pera ay para sa restaurant na itatayo nila at sa isang tour-booking company. Huli na nang malaman ni Brian na walang restaurant at naloko umano siya.

BRIAN: “I sent this money in good faith. I sent this money for my future. For my business… that we were creating together. This is money that I need back so I can move on with my life.”

Ayon sa web tracking tool Site Meter, nakatanggap na ng halos dalawang milyong page views ang blog ni Brian mula nang ito ay nilikha noong March 4. Walang tigil ang buhos ng simpatiya mula sa mga mambabasa. Kung nakatutok ang mga Pinoy, ito’y dahil na rin sa malatelenobelang kwento ni Brian tungkol sa mga kaibigan ng kanyang ex-boyfriend na mga miyembro ng alta de sociedad. Kabilang dito ang umano’y pagbenta at paggamit ng droga sa mga party.

BRIAN: “I don’t write things on my blog that I can’t substantiate with proof. I’ve been there. I’ve been in the middle of it. I’ve been in the muck.”

Anumang araw ibubulgar daw ni Brian ang kanyang nalalaman tungkol sa pagkamatay ng isang Pilipinong socialite noong nakaraang taon.

BRIAN: “I heard first-hand from one of the people involved. I know the truth and, um, it’s a hard one.”

Kailangang ibigay ni Brian ang bahay at lupang ito sa mga bagong may-ari sa loob ng tatlong buwan. Lilipat siya sa Canada. Pero hindi raw niya isasara ang blog hangga’t mabawi niya ang kanyang pera.

Napatunayan na ang impluwensiya ng mga blog sa larangan ng pulitika at negosyo. Sa showbiz, ang isang blog ay maaaring magpasikat o magpabagsak ng isang artista. Wala pang nakakaalam kung magtatagumpay si Brian. Pero kung sakali, ito’y isa na namang patunay ng kapangyarihan ng mga blog.

Gigi Grande sa ABS-CBN News, Sydney, Australia.

April 2, 2008 12:15 AM