16 June 2010

Scrambled Eggs

chaos
• noun 1 complete disorder and confusion. 2 the formless matter supposed to have existed before the creation of the universe.

— DERIVATIVES chaotic adjective chaotically adverb.

— ORIGIN Greek khaos ‘vast chasm, void’.

Compact Oxford English Dictionary of Current English

I love chaos.

Wait, let me rephrase that to be more specific.

I believe in the order that results from chaos.

I believe that there are two ways to handle things (by "things", I mean life, situations, problems, systems, etc. etc); simple way and the complex. Neither is better than the other. It's just when to know what to use.

But what's that got to do with chaos?

Well, our choices, whether simple or complicated, can result in chaos. Not all the time but there is a possibility it would. The beauty of it, in my own weird way of thinking, lies in the fact that no matter how chaotic "things" become, it will soon sort out in the end.

Imagine breaking an egg to cook an omelette. Simple for us but really chaotic for the egg if you think about it. The egg gets broken. The shells are thrown out. Its' insides are treated to massive beating, foreign objects are introduced to it, and then it's subjected to intense heat. Afterwards, what comes out is a beautiful delicious dish that is almost immediately ingested, digested and then expunged. But what happens after that?

Theoretically (and actually), it gets absorbed back to the earth as fertilizer and makes the grass grow. And then the grass gets eaten... and so on and so forth. But at the end of this cycle, the egg is now a cow.

Well, theoretically (but not actually).

That in a nutshell (or is it eggshell?), is how I think I can explain chaos.

Anyway...

I love chaos.

You just don't know what's going to happen next.

It just happens.

I love how it just blooms into my life at the most inopportune or unexpected time. Subjecting me to massive beatings, intense heat; to be digested by it then thrown out like a piece of crap. But I know in the end, some kind of order will come out of it. Rolling fields of green grass comes to mind. Sans cows, of course.

We don't know when a choice will FUBAR us to hell and back or not. All we can do is to understand that chaos happens. Ride it out til the end, knowing things will get back to calmer shores and maybe even greener pastures.

And that comes to the actual point of this blog.

My booklist.

Yep, all these things about chaos, choice, eggs, and cows, is just about books I'm reading at the moment and books I want to read (any generous souls out there?).

I was just thinking of just simply putting down the list but then again, chaos happens.

Soo.. here's the list;

Currently Reading
1. Why Does E=mc2? by Jeff Forshaw and Brian Cox (really really interesting that i'm recommending it to my kids)
2. Project Risk Management Guidelines by Cooper, Grey, Raymond, and Walker (work, work)

Want to read and get
1.God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the World -and Why Their Differences Matter by Stephen Prothero (sooo intrigued i want to get this)
2. A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking (seems like a really good read)
2. The Lost City of Z by David Grann (years, man.. and still haven't got it)

Planning to reread
1. State of Fear by Michael Crichton (hehe.. my favorite talk over coffee subject)
2. 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (I just want to get the timeline straight!)

I have it but still thinking about it
1. Amsterdam by Ian McEwan (have to get psyched to start this)
2. Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (depressing?)

Reading one or two of these books, you'd understand why I thought about chaos. Most if not all, I believe are good solid reads and will leave you thinking about life, love, eggs, and cows.


********************************************
Also check out my latest science blog: Quantum Day. It covers research material for technological breakthroughs such as stem cells, aerogels, and more!
********************************************