20 December 2005

You can't pick your relatives but you sure can pick your nose

This may be one of my longest posts so bear with me. My nose is bleeding because of the sheer brainpower I had to muster to put this down in writing...

It's almost six am and the news that Philippine TV Network, ABS-CBN, isn't acknowledging the Philippine blogosphere for the success of it's TV show, Pinoy Big Brother show, is crawling thru all the other Philippine blogs like crazy.

To keep this short, this is how it went, or how I think it went;

1. Retzwerx starts a blog about Pinoy Big Brother.
2. Retzwerx becomes uber popular even outranking the official site.
3. ABS-CBN invites Retzwerx into the PBB house as a guest
4. ABS-CBN produces post show and interviews Retzwerx for a segment.
5. ABS-CBN tells Retzwerx when it will be shown. Retzwerx announces it in his blog.
6. ABS-CBN informs Retzwerx that it will move segment to another day. This happens twice.
7. On the third time, ABS-CBN cancels segment.

Now, the network didn't officially mention that it isn't acknowledging bloggers for it's contribution to the PBB success story. Let's be fair here. They just told Retz that, I think. But what gets my goat is that they made the poor guy wait. If they didn't plan on airing his part, why tell him twice that they moved his TV segment? What they could have done is tell him beforehand that the segment may or may not be aired and just watch the show to see if it got in. I know a bit about this since I was a segment producer for Studio 23 (an ABS-CBN sister channel) a few years back. One of the worst SPs during that time since I only held the job for a few weeks.
Here's a backstory for that. You know how they got me off? Well, someone told me that the show was reformatting or something and that there will be staff changes (that's my official story but for all intents and purposes, truthfully, I was just a real lousy segment producer) and that I will be taken off the show. So on my last day, I waited and waited for the announcement. I didn't hear any nor was I approached. What happened was that I WENT THE ONE IN CHARGE AND ASKED HIM IF I WAS OFF THE SHOW. He said yes. If I didn't come to him, then maybe I would still be part of it or that I would go in the next day and find out that I have been replaced. A real bigwig in the company also got the boot that way. Ask around.

BTW, don't come a running with comments to say that I like GMA because ABS-CBN booted me out for being a lousy SP. I got badges on other shows there that I'm proud of. I just don't want to brag about it.

This is not about the GMA - ABS-CBN rivalry, my television network preference, or, about the bloggers' impact and contribution to a show's success. This is about sincerity, humblenessity (ack!) and keeping one's promise, virtual, as it is.

So, does anyone need a slightly used writer and a crappy segment producer? Anyone? Anyone?