03 October 2005

Five reasons social networking doesn't work

The word on the street lately is that social networking is in trouble. Friendster's CEO, Scott Sassa (most famous for firing a blogger who wrote about the company) recently departed in the face of a rapidly dwindling user base. Friendster has also introduced its own for-pay blogging tool as an all-too-ironic money-making scheme. Business networking site LinkedIn started charging for its job listings. Meanwhile, the recent launch of the Yahoo 360 beta has the blogosphere speculating that Friendster, the pioneer, is already on its deathbed.
I do agree with the article. Email and chat is better. Email being more flexible and chat being more ummm... real time and all.
To tell you the truth, I have a friendster site myself but I'm not really into it. It was a blast customizing the site but there's really nothing to do there. It's just a numbers game, that's what it is.
But the Philippines is a Friendster friendly country. Everyone here has a Friendster account. It's unbelievable. There are offices here that have Friendster specifically blocked for access.
Now Orkut... That's a different animal we have there. I mean, with Google as it's big brother taking care of it. I've been scouting for a kind soul out there to send me an orkut invite but to no avail. Anyone? Please? Pretty please?