21 September 2005

F u t u r e M e . o r g

Create an email to be sent to yourself in the future.

Future being anything from tomorrow (cool tool for reminders) to five to ten years from now (cool tool to send to that stranger you have become) or anypoint in the future (assuming we still use email as a means of communication).

Ever think of where you'll be or what you've become five years or so from now? Why not send an email to yourself and tell your future self of what you think you have become. Or even remind your future self of things you think of things you don't ever want to forget.

Maybe five years from now, some (if not most) things you hold dear and true now would have been forgotten or be trivial by then.

Here's a cool sample of someone's futuremail:

Hi Gary. I'm writing this on a Sunday evening. I have tomorrow off so I can go to Josh's 3rd guitar concert tomorrow. I sent this e-mail 30 yrs into the future. What happened 30 yrs ago? Lets see, 1975. I was in high school, a sophmore, 1st year driving, on the track team. I belive I went to Dr T's field trip around this time and ate snails and crepee. Dosen't seem like 30 yrs.
Well, back to the present. Josh is a freshman, i work as a feeder driver. My life is pretty good, but I don't have faith in it remaining good. We live in bad political times with very poor grade leaders. I have been thinking of running for Congress, but must admit that that idea is fading. I am worried about my health, in particular my heart. I quit the cigars about 3 months ago in an effort to improve my health.
I love my home and property, my job and my son. I really like my truck, a 2004 chevy silverado. Boy does she have power!!!
Well, now my questions. How many grandkids do I have, and what does Josh do? Did I build my garage? When did I retire? Did I get re-married? Do I still live in the mountains, or did Josh stick me in an old age home (ha-Ha).
Seriously, am I even reading this, or did I die years earlier?
I feel like I will read this,, and I will be doing so from a pretty happy life.
Well Take care Gary
(and don't change your e-mail address)

(written Sun May 1, 2005, to be delivered Tue May 1, 2035)