18 April 2009

[REC]


It all started with Lulu watching those ghost shows on the History Channel.

Then I got dared by both Gabbi and Lulu to find them a real scary movie. I think I spent 2 weeks searching for that movie that will scare their socks off.

Don't get me wrong though, they do get frightened with horror movies. But they are few and far between, like The Exorcist and The Shining. What my 2 kids are after is a scary movie with a decent story and spine tingling chills to boot. No cheap shots or convuluted story lines for them. They want the a-grade, primo stuff.

I went to back to the movies that scared me when I was a kid. I started off with those Christopher Lee Dracula movies but they just laughed it off. Salem's Lot (1979) also didn't do it for them. Most others I found are more gorefests than anything else.

Session 9 came close but unless you really get deep into the story, it comes out like a slasher film (which I think in a deeper level, it isn't).

Then I stumbled into [REC]. A spanish horror movie made around 2 years ago. Rec.. as in record. It's one of those Blair Witch/Cloverfield POV type movies.

I just finished watching it awhile ago and I haven't jumped out of my seat like that in ages. It's a really really creepy movie that just draws you in and puts you there. Until now, my brain is throbbing from having those images from the movie seared into my head.

As summarized by Davi Silva of IMDB, [REC] "...turns on a young TV reporter and her cameraman who cover the night shift at the local fire station. Receiving a call from an old lady trapped in her house, they reach her building to hear horrifying screams -- which begin a long nightmare and a uniquely dramatic TV report..".

I watched this alone in the dark at 3am. After the movie ended and the screen went black, I couldn't really move since I was scared spitless in my seat... in the dark.

Here's the trailer of [REC] for a sneak peak into a really really scary movie: