26 August 2007

Chasing Amy

"In love, you have to put the individual ahead of their actions.
It's comprehension of the past - not condemnation - that neutralizes insecurity..."

Holden McNeil
Chasing Amy

All my friends know how I truly love this film. If I were to be asked which one movie help change me on how I deal with relationships, it's this one. And everytime I feel that I'm on the verge of an emotional collapse because of one, I watch this movie. And believe me, I'm always on that brink most every month for the past couple of years.

In Chasing Amy, Holden McNeil (Ben Affleck) meets fellow comic book artist Alyssa Jones (Joey Lauren Adams) who turns out to be a lesbian. In time, Holden and Alyssa fall for each other.

Movie plays out the relationship's twists and turns what with Holden's best friend, Banky Edwards (Jason Lee) against the romance and also with his own insecurities about Alyssa's past.

For me, the movie's message is that as long as you truly love the person, what's important is the here and now. not the then and past. How one person's sacrifice can be easily trivialized with the other person's insecurities. Why trust, faith, and honesty should be always the forefront of love.

When in that situation where the insecurities creep in and you think you can't handle it anymore, watch this movie. I have seen this lots of times and I don't get tired of it.

What can I say? The movie centers me.