21 September 2005

Notes On The PhD Degree

"A Doctor of Philosophy degree, abbreviated Ph.D., is the highest academic degree anyone can earn. Because earning a Ph.D. requires extended study and intense intellectual effort, less than one percent of the population attains the degree. Society shows respect for a person who holds a Ph.D. by addressing them with the title ``Doctor''.

To earn a Ph.D., one must accomplish two things. First, one must master a specific subject completely. Second, one must extend the body of knowledge about that subject...
One of my frustrations is not finishing college. I had dreams before of getting a Masters. Well at my age, I jsut settle on ticking off that "Some College" box in most forms.

Anyway, here's a real brief but cool primer about a PhD Degree...

Maybe, I'll just legally change my first name to "Doctor"