05 December 2003

MY LIFE PAVED WITH SONG

"You're motoring
What's your price for flight
In finding mister right
You'll be alright tonight...
"
- Night Ranger (Sister Christian)

I'm on an 80's retro binge right now. And it's not the new wave stuff. It's the OTHER ones. You know John Cougar Mellencamp, Bryan Adams, Huey Lewis, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, The Cars, etc. etc. For some reason I'm enjoying it immensely.

Tess got up and started listening. She gave me this quizzical look like have I eaten yet? The what's-with-Wang-Chung-blaring-out-the-speakers kind of look. Next thing you know she joined in but man! The songs! David Foster? Olivia Newton John? CHAKA KHAN??!? She is also on another side of the 80s binge.

"After All that we've been through,
It all comes down to me and you.
I guess it's meant to be,
Forever you and me, After All. ..
"

I played "After All" by Peter Cetera and Cher. That brought us memories together. That song just bombards me with thoughts of Tess. It wasn't our theme song (remember those?). Ours was really admittedly stupid. Even Tess would agree it's stupid. I mean, it was a really big hit then... It's an inside joke between us now. We''d laugh about it. And I mean laugh about it. You would too, if you knew.

Anyway, I can't wait for Lulu to listen to some Springsteen, and Mellencamp (during his "Cougar" years).

These songs just bring out memories.

I don't know if some people would relate but remember that 99.5 RT was probably the only station that would play Jack and Diane? Also, remember that daily contest that they had where a certain numbered caller would win a thousand bucks after playing a specified song? I know it's still done now somewhere but the late eighties and early nineties, RT was my choice.

Jack and Diane. That song is one of my top ten favorites. During my formative years working as a salesman in a clothing store, that song was always there inside my head. Until now, I remember stages in my life through song.

Musicmatch randomly is playing stuff and now it's Waters of March. Cool song.

Hmmm... what was my point anyway? Oh yeah, our theme song. It was Together Forever by Rick Astley.

Jive man, Jive.