24 October 2003

LIFE'S QUAINT LITTLE CAKES: A SCRIPT


FADE IN

INT - BEDROOM
1:30 am

A heavy built person is facing a big computer monitor surfing the internet. On the left side of the room, a movie is playing on the television. He stops using the computer for a second and watches the movie. Disinterested, he reaches for the remote control and turns it off, and continues using the computer.

Slowly, a little hand reaches over his neck. The man stifles a mild choke.

FATHER

Gabbi! not too tight I can't breathe!

GABBI
(smiling)

Sorry, papa. I missed you.

FATHER
(softly)

Go to bed. It's late already. You have school tomorrow.

GABBI
(dejected)

Okay. But can I have a drink of water first?

FATHER

Sure. But no funny stuff. Okay?

GABBI

Okay.



While the father continues typing on the keyboard, Gabbi runs over to the small refrigerator at the end of the room. Opens it and looks inside. Instead of getting a drink, she takes out a small plastic bag. Inside, is a FANCY CHIFFON SLICE from Goldilocks Bakery.

She stops and opens the drawer. She gets something and then she runs back to the father.



GABBI

Papa! The cake is going to expire tomorrow! We have to open it now!

FATHER
(amused)

Well, just leave it there and I'll eat it later.

GABBI
(concerned)

Nooo! It's going to expire already! I have to eat it now!

FATHER

Ummm... It's already late. I don't think mama will let you eat it now.

GABBI

Don't wake her up! She might get mad if you wake her up. Just open this so I can eat it already.

FATHER

I don't know about this. Just eat it tomorrow, ok?

GABBI

No. I told you that it's expired tomorrow. I have to eat it now. Here.


Gabbi hand the father a pair of kindergarden scissors which she took from the drawer earlier.

FATHER
(taking the scissors and the cake)

Okay. Can I have some?

GABBI

Okay. Let's share. But I'll half it. Last time you ate the white stuff and left me the brown stuff. You have to half it sideways!

FATHER

You do it then.


Gabbi cuts the cake in half. She looks at the two pieces and gives the bigger one to the father. The father, looks at her, and exhanges the pieces getting the smaller portion.

GABBI

Thank you.


Gabbi scurries into the corner and kneels down. She opens up a coloring book and playfully looks at the pages while eating her cake. The father eats his part in one big bite and continues to use the computer.

After finishing her cake. She stands up, goes to the refrigerator to get a drink of water. She slowly walks towards the father, embraces him and gives him a kiss.

GABBI

Good night, Papa. I love you!


FATHER

Good night baby. I love you too.


Camera pans out as Gabbi climbs back into her bed and the father is still facing the computer.

FADE OUT