23 October 2005

`My Way`` to the cemetery -- another drunk Sinatra killed

"A MAN was shot dead while singing Frank Sinatra's song "My Way" yesterday in Caloocan City..."
I don't know the count but here in the Philippines, literally hundreds have already died while singing this song.

Is there a curse on Filipinos that whoever sings this song in a karaoke bar has a high probability of dying?

Here's an excerpt to Ted Lerner's Asia Times article:
".. The song "My Way" is perhaps the most preferred song when the drinks start flowing and the karaoke gets turned on. The song is so popular, and singing it is taken so seriously, that dozens have literally died because of "My Way." Perhaps someone laughed while a buddy was singing during a drinking spree, or someone didn't like the way the guy at the other table clapped after he tried to imitate Frank. It's always a ridiculously stupid reason but, no matter, out comes the fan knife or the pistol and wham!-it ends in a liquored-up flash, another senseless death due to "My Way." I wondered if Frank was aware that so many had died because of that song..."