25 June 2003

I THINK THEREFORE I ATE

I was absolutely broke. Went to work today with only twenty pesos in my pocket (around US$ 0.40). As I stepped out of the house, I told myself, "I can get through this. All I need is some positive thinking."

1. Around eleven a.m., my wife, who probably only has fifty pesos (less than a dollar), calls me up and says she'll pass by with some officemates who want to be read and they will treat the both of us to lunch. Chinese. I meant the lunch.

2. Around three p.m., Oliver reminds me that he owes me P100. And pays me at the end of the day. Must be this San Juan Festival thing.

3. One of my consultancies called me up to inform me that they will be depositing some cash during the day. I didn't hold my breath.

4. Around seven pm, I checked my ATM for the deposit (wasn't there) only to find out that I still had 300 in my checking account (my savings account is as dry as Gwyneth Paltrow in a date with a sixty year old, three foot, midget mime at the Oscars).

Whoa! The power of the mind. Next step: the lottery.